Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Nice Day for Change

I woke up this morning to a stunning Fall day and got ready to walk down to the local middle school to cast my vote.



I put on my new extra-comfy jeans and a mismatched pair of socks (need to do some laundry around here), looped the camera strap around my neck, grabbed my trusty Vitamin Water, and set off.











I was greeted outside the polling station by friendly, happy people. There were representatives from the DNC and a pair of lawyers standing by to help anyone having trouble voting.





One of the DNC workers handed me a card listing all the Dems running for office and advised me to take it with me into the booth. I thanked him and headed inside.



There wasn't much of a line, but there were lots of people inside, much more than I usually see voting here. The little voting stands were full, so many folks were sitting along the walls of the gym completing their ballots on their knees. I wanted to take a picture of this, but shortly after I walked in, a poll worker came up to me and said I couldn't use my camera inside the gymnasium, so I handed it over for safekeeping to the woman who was handing me my ballot.

I took my ballot and voted, then took it to the scanning machine to be swallowed and counted. I retrieved my camera and left. The whole process took about half an hour.



Outside, I walked past the man who had handed me the DNC vote card. I said hello, and he asked how I was feeling.

"I feel great," I said, and I meant it. I crossed my fingers and held them up. "Go Obama," I said, and turned to make my way down the street toward my house.

"Hey, miss!" said the DNC man. I turned around.

"You know you're part of history now, right?"

"I hope so," I said.

I hope so. I really, really hope so.





 
posted by Kate at 11:56 AM link/comments

Comments:
Oh, lordy, Kate. You made me hitch my breath a bit. Rock on, history, rock on.
-Melinda
 
Kate, do you publish a feed? I want to add your blog to my regular reads and I'm really bad about checking for updates (but I always read them when they post).

Ian
 
Post a Comment